Thirsty all the time, frequent urination, weakness in legs. Do I have diabetes or kidney diseases?

Before this last week or so I would find myself thirsty and sweaty when I would eat the wrong food. It seems to me salty foods are bad. I could for example get a craving for a bag of potato chips. I would eat it at 8pm. Go to bed 2 hours later and have incredible thirst all night. Or if I east out at fast food restaurants. Problem is when I eat this junk it affects me for hours and hours later (all night). This has been going on for months.

Now the last week or so I find myself thirsty all the time and urinating very often. I feel a need for very cold water. I have a water bottle with at least 10 ice cubes and full of water. I feel weakness in my legs the last few days. Right now I am dead tired (1:30am) but can't sleep because I need to keep drinking and urinating. I also find it seems if I drink anything other than water I get a bad after taste in my mouth for hours. I had a pop at 10:30PM and I can still taste it at 1:30AM. I have been searching the internet for the last hour or so and have found some possibilities:

Diabetes insipidus
Kidney disease
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided with good information.

Normally when you eat salty food or fast food, it is normal to feel thirsty and pass urine frequently.
But since you feel that these symptoms have been present for only 1 week even when you do not eat this type of food, it could be due to other causes.
Altered sensation of taste in mouth can be due to Diabetes Mellitus and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
Some other common causes of frequent urination and thirst include

1.     Diabetes
2.     Hyperthyroidism
3.     Liver Disease or Malfunction
4.     Renal Failure
5.     4.Urinary Tract Infection

It is better to do certain investigations to rule out other causes like:
1. Post prandial blood sugar, fasting blood sugar
2. Liver function test.
3. Renal function test.
4. Thyroid Function tests.

Also in case of urinary tract infection, there will increased frequency of urination, pain in lower abdomen, fever etc. Tests like urine routine and culture examination have to be done for this.

I would suggest that you consult a physician who can examine you and order the blood tests.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.