Third degree burns, skin grafting on legs, arms, wounds healing now, delayed periods. Normal for periods to be late post accident ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was in a grease fire Aug 21 this year. 40% of my body was covered in 3rd degree burns. They grafted both arms and one leg. I was in the burn unit of the hospital for two weeks. They wanted to graft my entire back stating I only had a 50% chance of it healing. All of my wounds are now closed and I am on the road to recovery. My question is, my last menstrual cycle was the weekend before the accident. It is now been over two months and I have not yet had a menstrual cycle since the accident. Is this normal? Can burns/trauma cause changes in your cycle and if so when can I expect it to return and when should I start to be concerned?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

After a major accident and trauma like you had, it is normal not to have regular periods. The periods will resume on their own after your body has fully recovered and your mental stress has decreased and your hemoglobin levels come back to near normal levels.

Since you have IUD in your uterus, there is nothing to worry regarding getting pregnant. Still if the periods do not resume after your complete recovery you can get your hormone levels checked under your gynecologist's guidance to rule hypothalamic suppression as a result of such widespread burns.
I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.