Tests done for cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, creatinine. Normal?

Cholesterol 222 Triglycerides 212 HDL 45
VDL cholesterol 42 and LDL 135
Creatinine serum 1.29 eGFR 62
whats it mean I had my blood test
I am Wht Male 55 years 5.8 tall 145 lb
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

The total cholesterol at 222 is borderline high, LDL and triglycerides are also borderline high, HDL at 45 is normal ( not on a higher side), being a male, cholesterol/HDL ratio of 5.0 puts you on an average risk for atherosclerosis.

If I were your doctor, I would have chosen statins first out of the list of cholesterol medications after checking your liver enzymes

Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines. To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.

To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2. Maintain good body composition
3. Increase dietary fiber
4. Increase aerobic exercise

Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.

Regarding your renal function tests, your creatinine levels are normal but GFR is mildly reduced. Your kidney is not doing the optimum filtration. You need to rule out hypertension and diabetes as the two main causes of these findings with the help of your physician.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Tests done for cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, creatinine. Normal? 13 hours later
The day I had my blood test I did not fast ,I had a small breakfast 6 hours before ? could that effect the test results and should I test again before making any medication decisions.? 8 years ago I was a strict Vegetarian for about 12 years ,I have gone back to that for the last three weeks and intend to make this permanent.I do not smoke but do drink a few beers 4 at Sunday football games and rarely during the week.Exercise is sometime I need to start doing more of, that being said I just came back from a 40 mile backpacking trip,so I am not weak or with out tone its just that I have never had to do much to look and feel like I do.?is it the cardiovascular in regular exercise that is needed.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Only lifestyle modifications are not going to help much and you will need medicines to lower your blood cholesterol levels. The high TG levels along with increased LDL levels are sufficient enough to start the medications.

Taking a breakfast 6 hours before test is as good as fasting, that said we advise 8 hours fast. You need to add cardiovascular exercises ( 7% of your awake time should be engaged in this activity each day) and consult your cardiologist for detailed investigations and further treatment.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.