Tested negative for syphilis, hepatitis and hiv. Does taking antibiotics affect the test results?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I did a syphilis ,hepatitis,hiv test i been antibiotic will that mess up the affect of the tesus they all came back neg.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 53 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Taking Antibiotics will not affect the outcome of the results of HIV and Hepatitis in any way, as they are viral disease and antibiotics will have no action over the virus.

But these antibiotics will definite affect the the outcome of the tests for Syphilis. Usually the tests for syphilis will become positive after 4-6 weeks of infection. If one is on some antibiotics, which has a treponemicidal activity, then it may be delayed in getting Antibodies against Syphilis and thereby the tests also may manifest a false negative result.
So it is better repeated after a month once again.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Tested negative for syphilis, hepatitis and hiv. Does taking antibiotics affect the test results? 35 hours later
I was augmemtin and rocephin been off them for about 9days the syphilis test was a rpr test. U think it be fine? I got tested from french kissing a girl. We been french kissing on and off for awhile.i guess maybe 40 times all together. It been six week sinse i kissed her. U think the test be fine?i been of the augmentin longer
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome back with your follow up questions.
Both Augmentin and Rocephin are having action over the organism causing Syphilis. If the dose is not adequate to remove the bacteria totally, the disease may likely to persist and the antibody formation gets delayed and a false negative result can occur. So get it repeated after a month with the same RPR test. These possibilities are only when the girl is having the infection and if you got it from her. But possibility of getting Syphilis through french kiss is remote.

So nothing to get anxious about the same.
If you have more queries I am pleased to answer. Otherwise let us close our conversation.
Dr S.Murugan