Test showed slightly elevated AST and ALT level. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
I just recieved my Annual Health exam and recieved an AST of only 30 but ALT of 41. They ask that I come in for follow up within 6 weeks. I am not a drinker, I do not smoke. I am female 32, 5'3 130lbs. I have had 3 csections. I am married and live a fairly healthy normal life. What could cause the ALT to be 41? Is this a concern?
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such results are almost excellent so there is nothing to worry about. AST and ALT are liver enzymes which get elevated while there is some liver cells destruction. Such slightly above the range result can be caused by spicy foods or some medicines intake. However it can be your individual norm. Having it repeated in a 6 weeks is a very good idea. You will be able to see if it is rising or this was just an incident.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.