Test showed high polymorph and low lymphocytes. Any complication?

i have been found with high polymorph 79% and low lymphocytes 13 %. What is the problem associated with the same ?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later

I have seen your blood test reports. These reports are normal except for increase in TLC (leucocytosis), increased neutrophil (neutrophilia), decreased lymphocytes (lymphopenia) and low ESR.

I would like to know, why your dermatologist advised you to get these tests done as it would help me in ruling few possibilities.

Nevertheless, here are few of the reasons that could have led to above mentioned changes in blood counts-

1) An increase in the percentage of one type of leukocyte (white blood cell) leads to a decrease of another. Hence an increase in neutrophil might have led to decrease in lymphocyte count.
2) Increased Neutrophils indicate acute bacterial infection like fever, cough, diarrhoea, stress, trauma, excessive exercise or even intake of medicines.
3) Increased lymphocyte indicates chronic viral or bacterial infection. Decreased Lymphocytes can also be caused by a viral infection.
4) Low ESR is simply due to leucocytosis.

I would like to mention blood tests are corroborative to clinical findings. These findings could have been due to a minor bout of fever, food poisoning or cough along with an ongoing stress. It is in your best interests that you discuss these findings with your doctor as there must have been a reason to advise these tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Should there be a further query, I would be happy to assist you.

Follow-up: Test showed high polymorph and low lymphocytes. Any complication? 35 minutes later
Dear Dr,

Thanks for your prompt response .
I have got some allergic symptoms over my upper lips. pigmentation above the upper lip, slightly whiter than normal skin. Which seems to be spreading in the upper lip area. Which i presumed may be symptom of leukemia. As it was becoming more visible day by day. Discoloration of the upper lip areas kept me in trouble.

Kindly suggest , is there any chances of leukemia or other skin cancer or allergies.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Mobile - 0000-0000
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 minutes later

The tests that your dermatologist had recommended were for leukoderma or vitiligo( white spots).

Leukoderma at times is associated with thyroid disorders, anemia or liver disorders. So the tests were done to rule out any of these. None of the symptoms or the clinical reports point towards anything serious like leukaemia or skin cancer.

Sometimes any allergy, irritant skin condition, trauma, herpes infection etc heals with hypopigmentation or white spots.

Though increased leucocytosis count was an incidental finding; but the values are not alarming enough to put any medication or advise any further tests. So be assured that everything is completely normal with you.

Consult your dermatologist for white spots. As dermatology is a visual field, treatment for leukoderma can be suggested only when the concerned area has been examined properly.

Hope that answers your query.
Take care and remain stress free.