What causes red spots on penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi I've noticed some red areas on the rim of my penis and I think it might be herpes I went to a clinic and the doctor said it was not herpes or genital warts but I feel like she didn't examine thoroughly my first time I had sex was November 8 I notice the red areas last week on the 16
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Don't worry.You are safe and your doctor is right. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your doctor has given right suggestions to you. The might be a number of causes for red spots on your penis depending on the size, number, distribution, any pain or itching. People often get scared when they find red spots in the penis but most of the time it is harmless. However, if due to any sexually transmitted disease, it must be confirmed and treated immediately to avoid complications and damage. In many people, most of the red itchy spots are caused by skin irritation during masturbation, oral sex or during sexual intercourse. It can also be due to allergy from lubricants or mild bacterial infection. In this case the spots should be treated with antibiotic, antifungal or steroid cream or usually they disappear on their own in couple of weeks. If they still persist than it's perhaps a condition which needs to be further investigated in detail suspecting a sexually transmitted infection. It is important to know if your oral sex partner has herpes infection. If she is infected, you must consult your doctor and get investigated for sexually transmitted infections.Herpes is a painful condition. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes red spots on penis? 11 minutes later
She lies about things so I can't get an honest answer from her so that's out of the question last week when I noticed them there was one red bump and now these very very small bubble have formed it does not hurt or itch I did have this one bump that was on my shaft that had clear fluid come out of it and that didn't hurt eather but it left markings How long does it take for a herpes blister to form and tern to a lesion becouse I don't have any pain I was test for syphilis clymidia and gohnorea

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You can use gentain violet solution over lesions. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Multiple lesions are generally less serious conditions. Herpes take 4-7 days to form blister after sexual contact. I don't think you have herpes lesion.Herpes is characterised by recurrent bouts of small blisters,which rapidly break down to form small,painful ulcers.You don't have pain,so herpes is excluded. Syphilis causes single ulcer whereas gonorrhea and chlamydia is associated with discharge.You don't have these symptoms.However these conditions must be confirmed by lab investigations. You can try Gentian violet solution over the lesions and don't irritate lesions by masturbation or sex.You should give time to heal the lesions. If necessary,you should consult dermatologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes red spots on penis? 35 hours later
I went to use the bathroomand notice white discharge from my penis I felt a small throbbing pain in the head of my penis also its starting to ich a little its going on two weeks since I notice the bumps and they still do not hurt and have not poped if not herpes what could this be

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: It may be due to allergy. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Gonorrhea and chlamydia is generally associated with discharge but you already had been investigated for these two conditions.So this is excluded. You should try Gentian violet solution over the lesions as already advised. Your lesions may be due to allergic reactions. You also need exclusion of urinary tract infection. If necessary, you may consult dermatologist. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX