How accurate is a IGM Herpes test post three weeks of exposure?

Question
How accurate is a IGM Herpes test at 3.5 weeks post exposure and a IGG test at 2 weeks. They were both negative, but I took IGM during what I felt were symptoms
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 53 minutes later
Hello, As your both IgM and IgG test are negative for herepes, probabaly you do not had Herpes infection.Your symptoms may be either due to other infections or viral load may not be sufficient to induce antibodies.Suppose If you have a positive herpes IgM test with a negative herpes IgG test, then it is more likely that your results correctly signal a recent infection.Please write back for further

Follow-up: How accurate is a IGM Herpes test post three weeks of exposure? 15 days later
I am very concerned about a HSV1 possible infection. I had a risky encounter with a women who was HSV1 positive but had NO symptoms during sexual intercourse. It has been almost 7 weeks since the last encounter and i have taken the following tests. PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY. - HerpeSelect IGG specific (2 weeks post exposure) : Negative for HSV 1 and HSV 2. - IGM HSV1 and HSV2 w/reflex (3.2 weeks post exposure and DURING symptoms) : Negative for both HSV1 and HSV2 HerpeSelect IGG specific (5 weeks post exposure) : Negative for HSV 1 and HSV 2. HerpeSelect IGG specific (6 weeks post exposure) : Negative for HSV1 and HSV2 IGM HSV1 and HSV2 combo test (6 weeks post exposure) Negative for HSV1 and 2. Dr. I expeienced my first small blister near my perinium (taint) at 6 weeks post. Foolishly, i squeezed it which popped and dried almost completely in 24 hours before being swabbed at a clinic (pending results). Dr advised it didnt look like herpes. Now I have a persistent skin bump on my penis (pic attached) that has stayed for over 4 weeks. No pain, no ulcer, no blister. What is GOING ON? Can herpes present in the perenium as a small single blister and heal if squeezed this quickly with no ulcer? Are my tests at 6 weeks enough or solid evidence against Herpes Please advise and review my photos. Sorry for the graphic nature. I am very concerned. 1st photo, a few hours after i squeezed small blister in perenial area. 2nd is a couple days after. 3rd photo weird lump on penis that has been persistent. Please ADVISE! ?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Please upload the photos. Not a herpes infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, I could not find the pictures you have attached. Please reupload the photos. As Both IgM and IgG are negative, It is most probably not a Herpes infection. Bump in the perineal region may be due to sebaceous cyst infection Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: How accurate is a IGM Herpes test post three weeks of exposure? 5 minutes later
Dr. I am seeing a doctor today to swab whatever pimples those are in my perinum. I have had a mild burning sensation around my anus but nothing has come in addition to these photos. What could these "lesions" be if not herpes? What does it look like to you? The pimples went touched are a tad sore because I have been messing with them, but they have not turned into an ulcer or created a new blister aside from the spot I popped , which released liquid and lots of blood. 1st photo represents the popped blister. 2nd photo isa day or 2 after. 3rd is the lesion on penis which has been there for 4 weeks. Could this be a mild form of herpes? My tests at 6 weeks all are negative..

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: No. It is a Infected Hair follicle or Sweat gland. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your Pictures. Both the lump in penis and perineum are due to either infected hair follicle or sweat gland. This is more common after puberty due to stimulation of sweat glands by hormones. The following may help relieve some of your bumps and lesion in perineum: 1. Wash the affected areas carefully and gently, preferably using an antibacterial or antiseptic soap or shower gel. This is to try to get rid of germs (bacteria) on the skin. 2. Wear loose-fitting underwear. 3. Use Topical anti-acne antibiotics like Clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. 4. Maintain good personal hygiene 5. Avoid shaving affected areas If the Infected hair follicle persists for long time or recurs, then small surgical procedure like incision and drainage may be needed. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: How accurate is a IGM Herpes test post three weeks of exposure? 25 minutes later
Dr. Manjeth, Could you advise on why you believe this couldnt be a mild HSV1 case? Have you seen a HSV1 genitally situation? What should I look out for? I have read numerous articles online stating iGG herpes tests are not accurate at 6 weeks but rather 12 weeks. I have also read that IGM tests are worthless and should never be done for herpes. What are your thoughts? Why is this NOT herpes? Would I be experiencing something else??People say first outbreaks could be mild and go unnoticed which is why the virus is so frequently spread. Im concerned I havent developed enough anitbodies which is why my tests are coming back negative. Please advise your personal input and experience regarding herpes infections.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Viral culture or Nucleic acid amplification test. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. IgG is usually elevated in the past infection. IgM is elevated in Acute infection and the acute flare of past infection. As the Herpes simplex virus get dormant in the nerves after initial infection and flares once your is compromised by stress or other infection etc. In this condition also IgM antibodies will be raised and result will be positive for IgM. Herpes IgM antibodies usually are detectable by herpes blood tests within 7-10 days after initial infection, and levels stay high for approximately two weeks. As you are confused too much, Please go for further tests like Viral culture and Nucleic acid Amplification test by swab from the both the infected areas ( Perineum and Penis). Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.