Test showed elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol levels. Looking for suggestion

As per latest lab evaluation my SGPT levels are 55.9 and SGOT 31.1; plus elevated cholesterol levels.

What does it symbolize?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 32 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern,

I have seen your lab reports attached and following are my comments:

1) Your Lipid profile is slightly abnormal that is Total cholesterol and Triglycerides are high that is 217 mg/dl and 279 mg/dl respectively. HDL is low 39 mg/dl which is good cholesterol.
2) You can avoid Butter, Ghee, fried foods, and animal fats and also reduce calories and start physical exercise and see if lipid abnormalities persist then Statin may be started after consulting Physician.
3) Your Liver enzymes are marginally high which could be due to Fatty liver, any drug, or alcohol. We can just recheck after 2 weeks.
4) You have not uploaded report of hemoglobin which presume is normal, as your iron level is slightly low, which can be corrected.
5) I would like to know if you are overweight or have family history of Diabetes, High BP or Ischemic heart diseases.
6) Do you smoke or take alcohol?

Hope this information helps you to understand reports and please respond to my required information so that I can clarify.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Test showed elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol levels. Looking for suggestion 19 minutes later
hemoglobin levels are normal 15.3g/dl; I do exercise normal to heavy at least 2-3 times a week. I weight 93 kg (this is even after exercise routine) and yes we have family history of diabetes.

I am a smoker and occasional alcohol, but not more than 2-3 drinks.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

You are overweight which depends on your height and you should try to lose weight by diet and regular exercise at least 5 to 6 days a week.

You must quit smoking and consumption of alcohol as it damages liver.
You have family history of diabetes hence you need to take extra care.
Please adapt to healthy lifestyle and regular exercise and you will be able to reduce your weight which will help to reduce risk of diabetes in future.
Please repeat your Lipid profile after 2 months. Please consult a Physician to get the prescription of statin.

Hope I have answered your query, if there is nothing then please rate my answer before closing this discussion.

I will be available for clarification if any.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.