Tension, upset stomach and sharp random pains all over body. Could this be dehydration?

Thank you. I had a health scare in January, the scan proved there was nothing there but I have since become overcome with the fear of cancer. My doctor prescribed me sertraline nearly 3 months ago and he has now transferred me to see a therapist. He won't listen to any of my symptoms. I admit that some issues were anxiety, such as upset stomach and sharp random pains all over my body, as this have now disappeared. But the headaches and shoulder stiffness are real. Could this be cancer? The shoulder stiffness goes away once I am up and about, and the headache seems to get better throughout the day. I'm not sure about the tingling. I do have a 1 year old that doesn't sleep well, I am therefore in a deep sleep when I do sleep and wondered if this was the cause of the shoulder tension? But why only in one shoulder? I'm also straining to pass stools at the minute (sorry!), they are more like rabbit droppings. Could this be dehydration? I will discuss my concerns with my therapist at my first appt a week on thursday, but just wondered what your thoughts were as my doctor won't listen. He says my symptoms keep changing. Yes the headaches are new, but worrying nonetheless. I never used to have them. Finally, could any of this be effects of the sertraline? Just to let you know also I had an epidural with my little girl a year ago, I still have a bruised feeling at the injection site. Could thus have caused nerve damage? Apologies for the long follow up, any response would be appreciated. Thank you....
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your account in very detail.
After going through what all you have written, it is very likely that your complains could be anxiety related.
The various complains you have mentioned and that too their temporary nature doesn't fit into a particular diagnosis and cannot be medically explained.
Your sleeping deep cannot have anything to do with your shoulder tension.
Dehydration will not lead to change in the nature of stools or straining of stools.
Its unlikely that these symptoms are related to sertraline.
Nerve damage if at all due to epidural would have caused many more symptoms than a simple bruised feeling.
All said its wise to visit a therapist as you have planned.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Tension, upset stomach and sharp random pains all over body. Could this be dehydration? 41 hours later
Hi, can you please tell me how you distinguish between the two? My doctor said the same as you, that it's anxiety and not cancer as I have too many symptoms, but I have read somewhere that when cancer has spread this can affect the nerves and bowel movements. Sorry I am not nuts I'm just after clarification. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 hours later
Sorry for the late reply as there was a technical problem.
Yes if the cancer spreads there can be an effect on the organ that it has spread to. However the symptoms that it will cause will be more or less persisting and not transient and will increase with time. Secondly the organ where it spreads will depend, whether that new organ is also receiving blood and lymph supply through the effected organ.
Hence there is a particular predilection for some organs to develop metastasis depending upon which organ is primarily effected and there is a specific pattern. Your complains are not following that pattern and the symptoms are transient and not persisting.
Moreover the symptoms you are describing can be easily explained by the routine somatic symptoms that a person of previous malignancy will have.
Do visit a therapist who can discuss these issues in detail and also offer you some relaxation therapies. Biofeedback and Jacobsons progressive muscle relaxation will be useful to you.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy