Telogen effluvium, taking iron ineffective, normal blood, no thyroid, not menopausal

I've been diagnosed with Telogen effluviem - I've had shedding hairs for over a year and lost about 50% of it all over. It was thought to be my lowish iron but taking iron has made no difference. My bloods are normal - I'm not menopausal or thyroid. The texture is really different - before it was fine (thick), straight and silky - it is now wiry, flyaway, soft and woolly feeling. When I wake in the morning I have an XXXXXXX of fine hairs all around my head. Conditioners make no difference - in fact they make it fall out more if anything. It is not coloured and has not grown for about a year. Can you suggest anything?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 2 hours later

The great thing about Telogen Effluvium is that it is only temporary hair loss and that the problem will most likely repair itself. Most of the hair lost will likely be replaced which is a good thing, however it may take a little longer than usual to grow the hairs back to normal.

As far as treatments goes, it is noted that there is no cure for this condition. However there are ways that Telogen effluvium can be prevented and improved by eating a healthy diet that consists of fruit, veggies and lots of protein. There are other methods like using special lotions and special shampoos and sprays to assist the hair growth process.

Of course there are some things that go beyond our control, however it would be best to prevent telogen effluvium from happening to you by finding ways to relax and de-stress as well as eating a nutritious diet to prevent any diseases that may cause shock and trauma to your body.

Telogen Effluvium does not seem to be heredity and seems like it can be easily treated and reversed if taken care of properly as well as be detected at an early stage of the condition.

The treatment modes are these but a dermatologist guidance is needed.
Tricomin Therapy Spray is recommended in cases of Telogen effluvium.
Minoxidil a lotion applied to the scalp that stimulates hair growth in some people. Gentle handling of the hair, avoiding over-vigorous combing, brushing and any type of scalp massage are important.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you Good Health