Talking and walking in sleep, screaming, nightmare. How can sleep disorder be treated?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, I am XXXXXXX a 27-yr old male from Bangalore, India. I have suffered sleep disorder such as sleep talking and walking since childhood. Over the years my sleep talking has become more violent. I scream and shout in my sleep and i wake up with a scream and continue to get up and move in my sleep. I realize in a few minutes that I had a nightmare. However, when I shout in my sleep, people at home can hear me. I usually see an increase in such sleep disorders when I'm very stressed out, when I travel long distances, etc

1. Is this sleep disorder of sleep talking and walking/actions treatable? If yes, what are the steps to go about this?

2. What is the timeframe for treating such a disorder?

2. Could you please refer me to a good doctor in Bangalore?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Ans:Sleep walking and talking is very common conditions. In minor cases it does not need need any treatment. Usually symptoms reduced over time but in your case severity of symptoms increasing.

When this problem started affecting personal and social life then it definitely need evaluation and treatment.

Common causes of these symptoms are multiple like:
-Genetic
-Environmental (stress, alcohol use, magnesium deficiency, psychiatric medicines)
-Illnesses like psychiatric illness (anxiety), asthma, sleep apnea, acidity, nighttime seizures and cardiac arrhythmias.

These conditions are treatable. But before treatment, it need assessment to confirm cause in your case. Nature of treatment also depend on the cause.

Ans: It can not be predicted. It vary patient to patient and depend on the cause.

3. Could you please refer me to a good doctor in Bangalore?
Ans: In Bangalore you can visit National Institute of mental health and allied sciences (NIMHANS) which is apex government institute for neuro-psychiatry in India. It has comprehensive team of neurologist and psychiatrist. You are lucky to have it in your own city.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wish you good health.