Taking tapazole and beta blockers for hyperthyroidism. Is this a hereditary disease?

I am a very active and mostly healthy female, just turned 60, 5'3" and 107 lbs. Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and am taking Tapazole and beta blockers. Am feeling much better re: heart palpitations, etc. I am trying to figure out what caused this. In Aug., I rec'd a steroid shot for tendinitis in my right thumb. Now same thing has happened w/my left thumb. I'm wondering if: 1. could steroid shot caused the hyperthyroid problem or is tendinitis part of this tyroid issue? Also, I just stopped using Estratest in August....could that have something to do w/causing Graves disease? Or is this just hereditary (my mom is hypo)?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is a hereditary component to thyroid disease and multiple persons in a family can have thyroid disease, genes have been identified that predispose persons to graves or hashimoto's (causes the opposite- hypothyroidism) or both.
Graves is the most common type or reason for hyperthyroidism though they are other causes.

There can be triggers such as trauma to the thyroid gland or the use of agents that modify the immune system. The medications that you mentioned is not known, at present, to act as a trigger.
In terms of the muscular system it is associated with tremors, back pain and weakness at the hip or shoulders but is not known to cause tendonitis.
The tendonitis may be a separate issue, it is usually related to overuse of a tendon.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Taking tapazole and beta blockers for hyperthyroidism. Is this a hereditary disease? 15 hours later
I've been taking Tapazole for 2 weeks now and feel an improvement. But last night, it felt like I had put my finger in an electrical socket the way my body was acting. I thought it was my pulse going crazy but that was 52 and blood pressure was fine. Could this be my thyroid trying to make hormone and the medicine putting on the brakes.

I'm seeing my doctor at the 6 week period. Is that usually when they lower the dose if my #'s come up normal. How long can I expect to be on these pills? A year, forever, etc.?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Tapazole is one of the anti thyroid drugs available to treat hyperthyroidism,it acts by preventing some aspects of the metabolism of iodine (which is needed to form thyroid hormone) in the thyroid gland.
When the levels of thyroid hormone normalise, the dosage is normally reduced by about half and the medication is normally taken for at least 12 to 18 mths.

Hyperthyroidism can be associated with tremors which usually improve with treatment of the condition.

Feel free to ask any other questions