Taking sudafed for ear effusion. Feeling uncomfortable. Should I continue this medicine?

Question
Hi, I have been taking sudafed for 2 weeks as the doctor told me to for the ear effusion, my ears got better and don't have the uncomfortable and heavy feeling anymore after I took it for 5-8 days, after that I did continue taking it cuz doctor told me to take it for two weeks, but my ears got back the uncomfortable, heavy feeling couple days ago, today is stronger, so should I keep taking sudafed or not?
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 14 hours later

Thanks for the query

Sudafed is basically used to treat congestion especially in the areas on sinuses and nasal region. It improves the symptom of heaviness as it relieves the congestion. However as the symptoms continue to persist, most common causes of ear effusion such as otitis media or acute supporative otitis media needs to be ruled out.

It might be good idea to start antibiotic such as 3rd generation cephalosporins. Consult an ENT specialist for detailed evaluation of the ear and prescription of antibiotic.
In the meantime, continue sudafed. Steam inhalation thrice daily will give additional benefits

Hope this answer your query. If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Follow-up: Taking sudafed for ear effusion. Feeling uncomfortable. Should I continue this medicine? 8 days later
hi, my family having a cold/coughing at this moment, and im staring to have running nose, i dont want it to get to my son( he is almost 2 months) , is there anyway i can prevent that, and can also continue taking care of my son? , and im taking sudafed at this moment, is it ok to take cold medicine at the same time? , i was thinking about the cold relief tablet (drink), is that ok? i need to take care of my son but i dont want him to get a cold

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 26 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

you can take cold medication along with sudafed. while handling your child, you can use mask to avoid droplets contact with him and don't touch him the tissues you use for running nose

Thanks

Follow-up: Taking sudafed for ear effusion. Feeling uncomfortable. Should I continue this medicine? 1 hour later
dont touch him the tissues u use for running nose? that mean dont touch him with bare hand? sorry , im not from u.s so, english not pretty good

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 minutes later
hi

Sorry for confusion.

Yes also don't use bare hands that you have in contact with your nose. wash your hand with warm water before handling your baby. Its just a 3 days effort and the flue ends within 3 days. So better to have this effort.

Thanks