Taking spasmo proxyvon during menstrual cramps. Addicted to it. Suggest other medications?

May 2013
my wife has been taking spasmo proxyvon every time she has menstural cramps since she was 18-19 yo. We live in US after our wedding and so she always used to take these in bulk (40 pills every 6 months). Off late I found, her dosage is higher than needed as she usually finishes off 10-20 pills in every cycle. Now she has a tendency to say that she needs it everytime there is pain since nothing else works for her. Is she addicted. Her intake is almost 15-20 tabs a month, not daily but every menstural cycle.

Question - is she addicted? What other menstural cramp medicine has equal potency so that I can wein her off of SpasmoProxyVon
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibility of addiction

Detailed Answer:
According to the history there is possibility of addiction.
So better to stop the drug.
If she is not able to stop the drug at once, she can reduce the dose gradually.
Like if she is taking three tablets a day, she can reduce the dose to two per day for few days, one per day for few days and gradually she can stop completely.
Usually for dysmenorrhea we prescribe tablets containing mefanamic acid. Tablets like diclomol, tylenol etc can also help.
Better to use only for 3 to 4 days during periods.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.