Does medicine prescribed for controlling blood pressure cause night coughing?

I was just checking to see if a side effect of this medication could cause me to cough a lot at night.The doctor prescribed it for me to help with my blood pressure.Thanks for any comment. I stopped taking this medication as of monday,and I had a restful sleep last night.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, blood pressure medicines do cause cough. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to WWW.WWWW.WW Thanks for the question. Yes, the cough is most likely a result of the new medicine prescribed for controlling blood pressure. A certain class medicines called ACE inhibitors do generally cause cough at the initiation of therapy, however, the cough goes down after 2 to 4 weeks time, but if the cough doesn't subside by then or if it is very severe, then you should change the medicine. Sudden stopping is not good, there are other medicines available which do not cause cough, so please talk to your doctor for a change of medicines. Hope this answers your query. Wishing you good health. Regards.