Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking septra for UTI. Started having stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Looking for cure

Question
I'm taking septra for an antibiotic for my uti. I finished my 3rd day of 5. I started having bad cramps earlier this evening, and severe stomach pain followed by XXXXXXX diarrhea. The color was shocking and the amount was shocking too.. Help ?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome again,

Color of stool can be XXXXXXX due to poor digestion and presence of bile in it.

Amount of stool also increase due to incomplete digestion.

It seems that Septran has destroyed your normal intestinal flora.

You should get get your stool tested.

You should drink sufficient water and ORS like electrolyte.

Take pre & probiotic capsule.

If there is no improvement, consult your Physician.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Taking septra for UTI. Started having stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Looking for cure 8 hours later
Hello, thank you for your reply. I thought it was the antibiotics causing this problem. However, when my 10 year old son woke up this morning, he two had the exact experience with the stomach pains and XXXXXXX diarrhea and he isn't on any time of medication. I have 2 other children 5 and 1, and they are not having any of these problems. What can it be?

Welcome again,

Antibiotics destroy your native gut flora and make you more susceptible to diarrhea.

If both of you have consumed same food, then it is possible that a particular food have caused loose motions to both of you.

Immunity/body resistance vary from person to person. Response depends upon quantity consumed of that particular food also.

Stool test can help in finding out the cause.

Loose motion is generally self limiting. You have to take care of dehydration particularly.

With good wishes,