Taking propranol and losartan for BP. Had bouts of loose bowels. Related?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am taking propranol 3 times daily and 25mgt losartanhctz100. I keep track of bloodpressure readings. Recently have bouts of loose bowel movements. Is this anyway connected?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably not related.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Propranolol can cause diarrhoea in 1 in 1000 people. Losartan can cause constipation in 1 in 1000 people and very rarely diarrhoea. Therefore, it is difficult to say with certainty that it is either of these medications. You do not mention whether you have recently started either of these. If you have been on them for some time then it is highly unlikely your loose bowel movements are related to them.
My opinion is that your loose bowel movements are not drug related.
I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,