Is it normal to get persisting diarrhea after gastric?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I was diagnosed having gastric flu, although I have got over most of the symptoms I still have dhyarea after 11 days is this normal
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follow the suggestion below. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and feel sorry for the situation you are in. Yes, it is normal for the diarrhea to still persisting after 11 days of having gastric flu due to abnormal changes in the intestinal flora. Usually, it will take up to 2 or 3 weeks for the symptoms to totally clear up. However, as long as you do not have any bacterial infection, I'd advise to: - take tasectan and probiotics for diarrhea - drink more water and take o.r.s. for dehydration - avoid too fatty or sugary foods - have light meals If you have not done any stool analysis till now, I'd suggest to wait for another week. If still diarrhea, I'd suggest to : - do stool examination for ova/parasites - culture of feces for candida/bacteria/virus - abdominal ultrasound Wish you fast recovery! Dr.Sonila Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!