Taking proper diet and having regular exercise. Why are the platelets count low?

Gastroenterologist
Question
i need to know why my plaquettes counts is very low 0000 last blood test a year ago was 0000 counts, also in the same test this year my white sells count was 4390 this year its 3940
so why my plaquettes are
low and what does this means?
my health is normally good, i exercise at least two times a week, I eat very healthy, I lead very healthy life style I don't drink alcohol im just few KG over weight, I'm 168cm and weight 65.5 KG if you need to know anything in particular send me your questions. thank you.

Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.
The normal platelet count is about 0000 to 0000 /cu.mm.
Your platelet count is only slightly lower than normal.

I would like to know some more information before I give my opinion.

1. Why was this test done?

2. Was ultrasound scan of the abdomen done? If so what is the USG scan report?

3. Any other tests done?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my final opinion.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Taking proper diet and having regular exercise. Why are the platelets count low? 24 hours later
I will be sending you the pdf of my blood test, it was done just normal yearly check up, when in the hospital they give the result with the previous one where we can compare from year to year, so I noticed the difference and i wanted to see why it went down from 0000 last year to 0000 this year, and when i found your site i was happy to have this opportunity to ask about it, I feel healthy hamdullilah, so after I send you the result maybe you can check other issues in my blood test, thanks.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
It is been three hours.
I am waiting for the blood test report which you said you send by pdf. You can either upload it from the facility that is provided on the right hand lower corner on this page. You can send to YYYY@YYYY to my attention 'Dr Ratnakar Kini'.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini.

Follow-up: Taking proper diet and having regular exercise. Why are the platelets count low? 3 days later
how can i send you the blood report please? by email? or i can download it here?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later

You can either upload it from the facility that is provided on this page. Alternatively you can send to YYYY@YYYY to my attention 'Dr Ratnakar Kini'.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini.

Follow-up: Taking proper diet and having regular exercise. Why are the platelets count low? 6 hours later
Report attached.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later

I went through your reports.

As mentioned by you, your platelet count is low. It is only slightly lower than the normal range and good to know that it has not caused any symptoms such as bleeding / tiny blood spots on the skin.

The causes are broadly classified as one due to decreased production or increased destruction.
If there is decreased production, it is most often associated with a decreased production of other cells like red blood cells and white blood cells. Infection is usually the commonest associated condition. Other conditions such as antibodies, bone marrow disease and so on form other less likely causes.

In the current context I would suggest you to repeat test say after month or so to confirm a low platelet count. If it is confirmed, then further tests may be done to find the cause to identify the cause is warranted.

I hope that answers you question. Let me know if you have any other queries.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Taking proper diet and having regular exercise. Why are the platelets count low? 5 hours later
Ok I will repeat the blood test soon and let you know, thank you Dr, I will send you the test as soon as it comes out,

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
I will gladly help you if you need assistance in future. You can contact me on XXXXXXX via the below link:
WWW.WWWW.WW
For now, if you have no more queries, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini