Taking prednizone for pain due to hip replacement, having blood in urine. Can prednisone cause biliruben?

can prednisone cause biliruben to be found in urine? Just had a 5 day course of prednizone to help with pain resulting from hip replacement 4 months ago.
Also had blood in urine. Only 2 days of blood (and apparently bilirubin according to first test) in urine, currently seems like less, may be fading away.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Normally birirubin is not found in the urine.
There are many drugs including steroids,which can cause the appearance of bilirubin in your urine,however if you have nausea or loss of appetite or yellow skin,then it can be due to liver disease or hepatitis or blocked bile duct.
I think it should disappear within couple of days after stopping The prednisolone.

However if it persists or you develop some symptoms,as explained above,then you would have to get certain blood tests like liver enzymes and ultrasound abdomen done to look for the cause.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Taking prednizone for pain due to hip replacement, having blood in urine. Can prednisone cause biliruben? 4 minutes later
Many thanks for your reply. I may be back in touch. Have never had this problem before.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.