Taking novelon. Had unprotected sex after period. Now missed taking pill. Chances of getting pregnant?

i am taking novelon(21 days)
my period started on the 30th of march and ended on 3rd april.

i started taking novelon for the second month from 3rd april(night) and had unprotected sex on 4th april(night).
i missed my the third day pill (5th april)of the month and took it 9 hours later.

are there any chances of getting pregnant?
should i take the morning after pill?

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
Novelon tablets are one of the most reliable & reversible method of contraception available. In clinical trials it has shown a very low pregnancy rate of 0.1% within the first year of use.
I don't think you need extra precaution or a morning after pill, as you have taken your missed pill within the 12 hours window period, provided you remain regular & punctual with rest of the pack.
However, it is generally advised to use condoms along with pills to protect you from STIs.
Hope this answers your query please write back if you need any further help.
Best regards.

Follow-up: Taking novelon. Had unprotected sex after period. Now missed taking pill. Chances of getting pregnant? 46 minutes later
i am a smoker.i smoke up to 5-7 cigarettes a day.
does my smoking affect the effectiveness of the pill?
or are there any side effects of smoking while taking the novelon pill??
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 34 minutes later
Welcome back.
Smoking reduces estrogen levels ( active ingredient in pills) in the body, so, smokers may experience irregular bleeding while on the pill.
A study on the efficacy of pills in smokers revealed a diminished effectiveness of the pill in this group & a laboratory analysis suggested that smoking increase the catabolism ( breakdown) of estrogen, providing a rationale for these observed effects.
There are some safety concerns as smoking enhances the development of thrombosis ( blood clots) . Women who smoke and take oral contraceptive pills also increase their risk of heart disease.
Smokers are also at a higher risk of developing osteoporosis ( weak bones) in the later years.
At present there are no general & separate guidelines for smokers that they should take extra contraception if they are late for their pills. So, you may consider taking the emergency contraception if you want total peace of mind but there are no such recommendations so far. I will leave this decision up to you.
I will take this opportunity to strongly recommend you to stop smoking as you are very young & please don't spoil your life & health with this wrong habit.
Wish you good health.