Taking novalgin for migraine. Having pain and weakness on knee. Side effect of medicine? Surgery needed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Dear Doctor,
I had a key hole surgery done on my left knee a couple of years ago in a well known hospital in Bangalore.
Condition: My cartilege had worn out and i had some pain in the knee, could not walk for long distances, i would buckle while climbing stairs, i feel weak around my knee area.
Procedure done: The Surgeon removed the dead tissues in the knee that looked like fibre. i had some physio done later
Current condition: While i feel somewhat better now, i still feel weak in the knee and have some pain from time to time. However, my right knee is now hurting badly and i just am unable to walk, drive, climb stairs etc.
Seeking your advise: 1. should i go for the same surgery for the right knee 2. Is there some other alternative? (i felt the procedure done for the left knee was superflous) 3.How long can i prolong without treating it? 4. Is it age related? (i do not remember any injury to my knee. I was taking a lot of pain killers (Novalgin) for my migraine for many years - is it the side effect of it?) 4. I read about some injection that can be given to the knee to inject something that acts as the cartilege - is that an option? is it cheaper? how long will it last? 5. Any other advise in this regard would be highly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting me through XXXXXXX

I need to know more about your previous surgery. I presume it was a meniscus tear that must have been removed. Only discharge summary can help to know better.

I shall also like to know your weight and height. If possible, also scan your x-rays and upload on this query page. You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Alternatively, you may mail them to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject as “Attention to Dr. Deepak Goyal”.

If MRI was done, then upload its images and reports also.

I think answers to all your questions are... we need to confirm the diagnosis first.

Warm Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy and Knee Surgery
Ahmedabad, India

Follow-up: Taking novalgin for migraine. Having pain and weakness on knee. Side effect of medicine? Surgery needed? 28 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your response. I looked for the MRI scans etc and unfortunately could not find them. However, i have the Discharge summary which i have attached. May i request you to go through it and provide your advise?

My wieght is 73 kgs and height is 5.5 ft.

best regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your reports.

The discharge summary does confirm that you had a meniscus tear three years back. However, nowhere we can guess that you have the similar problem on right side. I suggest that show yourself to a Knee Surgeon and get yourself investigated in form of X-ray and MRI. Then and then we can confirm the diagnosis on right side.

It doesn't look like reaction to Novalgin. Intra-articular injections may have small and limited role to play but not with meniscus tear.

I hope that helps.

Warm Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery

Follow-up: Taking novalgin for migraine. Having pain and weakness on knee. Side effect of medicine? Surgery needed? 2 days later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks again for your response. I will take your advise and see an Ortho. However, just so that you know, when i had my surgery to my left knee, the doc had conducted the tests for both the knees and suggested that i go for a similar sugery for the right knee after a year or so.

So, my guess is that I could be having the same condition on both knees.

Would you please also clarify the following?

1. Is surgery the only solution for Meniscus tear?
2. Is it a lasting solution? the reason i am asking this question is because i feel week and experience some pain from time to time on the knee that was operated as well
3. What can i do to keep my knees strong? i walk for 30 minutes every day but after experiencing pain in my right knee in the last week or so, i have stopped walking.
4. How long can i push the surgery, if the pain persists? the reason being, i have quite a lot of responsibility in the office that i want to accomplish before i go for the surgery?

Thanks a lot in advance for your response and have a good day.

Warm regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 33 minutes later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
Please find answers below.

1. If the meniscus tear is G III, surgery is the best solution. Then it also depends on what is the location, what is the type of tear etc.
2. A well-done partial menisectomy is the best long lasting solution for major tear. However, a good rehabilitation and physio program is must.
3. You must also find out, presence of any additional damage in your knee joints, thru your Ortho Surgeon. A good rehab program should help you.
4. If it is major tear, you should not push it.

I hope this helps.
Warm Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal

Follow-up: Taking novalgin for migraine. Having pain and weakness on knee. Side effect of medicine? Surgery needed? 2 hours later
this definetly helps Dr XXXXXXX
Thanks for the quick advise and have a good day.

kind regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 1 hour later
My Pleasure.
All the best.
Deepak