Taking medicine to control TSH level. Looking for diet plan

Question
My husband has thyroid problem since 8 months. His TSH was around 10 when we identified he has Thyroid problem. all other hormones(like T3 T4, etc) are normal . He is checking TSH every month and there is no much variation.

Last month his TSH level is 9.8. this 21st it raised to 15.8. Doctor said it will not go so high in one month with homeo medicines. so asked to repeat the test.
Today morning he went for test and report came as 11.8.

WE are confused how can there be so much variation with in 5 days
I have following questions.

Will any diet like soya affect TSH levels? can a thyroid patient take soya regularly.
Is there a chance that both the reports are correct with same homeo medicine. there is no change in the dosage. he is taking this medicine dosage since 2 months. First month TSH came down by .8 . this month so much variation ( on 21st XXXXXXX it was 15.9 and 26th XXXXXXX its 11.8)

Can thyroid patient take any food.
What food is good and what food( or other life style) is XXXXXXX for him.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 22 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. I'm afraid homeo medication isnt working. If anyone's TSH was more than 10 it would probably mean lifelong thyroxine replacement. There is no food which isnt safe for thyroid patient. But it is advisable not to take cruciferacae vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, radish and also soyabean in bulk quantities. Normal quantities are safe. Soya has been shown to be associated with hypothyroidism so excess consumption isnt advisable for a thyroid patient. Variation in TSH is due to lab error. My advice is to stop homeo medication and start thyroxine replacement which is more natural than homeo treatment.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad