Taking gabapentin for osteoarthritis and shoulder pain. Gaining weight. Is testosterone shot safe?

I quit taking Gabapentin for my osteoarthritis and left shoulder pain. It was very effective, but elevated my blood sugars and kept my girth looking like I was 9months pregnant. (I am a 59 year old White male husband, dad and grandpa, who has been reasonably healthy...prediabetes, hyperlidemia.) I fell and busted my left humerus a week prior to Christmas 2011. I had just starting eating as though I were a diabetic. I had a frozen shoulder until I received a cortisone injection in July 2012. Also, I was started on Gapapentin, which helped alot, but made it impossible to lose weight or keep blood sugar normal with diet&x-cise. My question: is a Testerone shot approp?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

According to medical studies testosterone is involved in the metabolism, build up and distribution of fat tissues in the body.
One study showed that testosterone causes fat to move from the abdominal area, this same study demonstrated a decrease a blood sugars and cholesterol levels.

These results were repeated in another study which also showed a decrease in body fat and an increase in muscle mass.
IF your wish I can provide information on these studies.

Though there was individual variation and not all men responded in the exact same manner, based on the results the use of testosterone may be helpful for you in terms of your weight loss effort.
You should discuss it with your doctor if you remain interested.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions