Taking femilon. Had unprotected intercourse. Feeling dizzy and passing white discharge. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

I am using femilon from the past 2 years on a regular basis after I had an abortion in 2011 I had an unprotected intercourse with my partner on the 8th day of my cycle. I had a white discharge on the 9th day of my cycle felt a dizziness / Vertigo on the 24th Day of my cycle. Is there any chance of pregnancy. Please help
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your query.

Femilon is a combined OCP and contains combination of both ethinyl estradiol & desogestrel. It is highly effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy (more than 99.5%) by inhibiting ovulation & other mechanism.

In your case, there is no chance of pregnancy at all because 1) you are using femilon as birth control pill (means you did protected sex) 2) 8th day of your cycle is safe period or non fertile day. So you have nothing to worry and just wait for upcoming period.

White discharge may be due to effect of estrogen/ hormonal imbalance, stressful activity or physiological cause. If there is no itching/ bad smell, then there is nothing to worry. Maintenance of genital hygiene is the key to get rid of this condition.

Dizziness/ vertigo may be due to side effect of femilon or indigestion problem.

In the mean time, you do following things:

1) Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables & vitamin supplements.
2) Avoid stress/ anxiety by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times daily)
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water & eat fresh fruits.
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking femilon. Had unprotected intercourse. Feeling dizzy and passing white discharge. Chances of pregnancy? 2 hours later

Thank for the update. What if I had unprotected intercourse on the fertile days, 5-8 times in cycle. What are the chances of pregnancy. I am using this method from the past 2 Years.

Also I missed the Femilon Pill on the last day (21st Day). I didnot take it till now (25 Day)
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

1) As you are taking femilon birth control pill in regular way, then you are very much protected against unwanted pregnancy. Chance of pregnancy or overall failure rate is less than or equal to 0.1% whether you did unprotected sex on fertile days or not.

Basically, pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sex without using any type of OCP. But Femilon inhibits ovulation and hampers in conceiving.

2) If you missed one pill at any time of cycle, you should take the missed pill immediately and continue the rest as per schedule. There is nothing to worry.

If you missed 2 pills on 3rd week (15-21 days) or more than two active pill are missed at any time, another form of contraception should be used as back up for next 7 days. Here, you start new pack without any break.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen