Taking duphaston. Pregnancy test showed negative. Why is there stomach pain? Continue duphaston?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
On prescription from gynae, taking duphaston for 14 days from 14th day of MP. Yesterday was last day of taking duphaston. Had simple pregnency test at home today morning and was negative. Still have little pains in stomach. can i continue duphaston for few more days.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

Duphaston is brand name of dydrogesterone, which is a synthetic progesterone.

It is prescribed in luteal insufficiency to help in formation of secretory endometrium and in implantation of ovum.

Duphaston can be taken during pregnancy also, as it helps in maintenance of pregnancy. But if pregnancy is not there, then continuous use will lead to delayed periods and menstrual irregularities.

what you can do know is,
-as you are having pain abdomen now, you take the duphaston to prevent miscarriage in case if pregnancy is there.
- urine pregnancy test kits sometimes may not detect pregnancy immediately after missed period.
But blood test for pregnancy, which is more sensitive can detect. So you go for that after consulting your doctor.
-if the test comes positive you can continue duphaston under guidance of your doctor.
-if it comes negative you stop duphaston, so that you will get menstruation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Taking duphaston. Pregnancy test showed negative. Why is there stomach pain? Continue duphaston? 8 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. today is 28th day since LMP. can i got for blood test tomorrow. I have only abdominal pain symptoms and no other symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

you can go for blood test tomorrow if the hospital where you go is having availability of quantitative blood test, which is more sensitive.

if they are having only qualitative blood test option, you better wait till the date of your expected period and then go.

though you are having only pain abdomen, on safe side you can continue duphaston, with the advice of your doctor till the test report comes.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.