Taking doxyclin. Folliculitis started spreading. Should I stop taking medicine?

I've been on doxycline for 5 days and my folliculitis is spreading. My biopsy results will not be back for another week. Should I stop taking the antibiotics assuming it may be fungal and they meds could be making it worse?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

According to of you should continue using doxycycline even if it is fungal, due to following reasons.

1. Usually fungal and bacterial infection coexists and hence anti bacterial cover up is required.
2. Doxycycline apart from being anti bacterial is also anti inflammatory, so it helps in controlling pain in the lesions.
3. It is quiet a safe medicine. So you don’t need to worry about side effects.

Let me know, if I need to clarify further.

Thank you.