Taking divalproex sodium for bipolar disorder, was smoking. Feel dizzy and unbalance. Side effect?

hii I have question, I am taking divalproex sodium for my manic bioplor disorder, and I smoking 4 to 5 cigarates a day , so mixing smoking with medicine is that any interaction or side effects, because I am feel very dizzy and unbalance all the time only when I am standing too long.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

I am sorry for your ill health. Some of the possible side effects of divalproex sodium are mood changes, thrombocytopenia (decreased platelet count), abdominal cramps, anorexia, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting and tremor.

Some serious interactions are known to occur when divalproex sodium is combined with alcohol and some medications like barbiturates, primidone etc. But, there is no significant interactions found when combined with smoking.

As you are having dizziness, I suggest you to rule out other causes as well since there are various things that can make you feel dizzy and imbalanced. Discuss with your treating doctor. I think you will require a check to know whether the dosage is properly adjusted and make sure you are not on any other medications like CNS depressants which can potentiate the effects of divalproex sodium.

Hope this helps!