Taking crestor .5mg. Noticed mild soreness in calves. Is this the side effects of medicine?

Hi, I have been taking crestor .5mg every other day since July 28th. recently I have noticed my calves have been mildly sore. Is this a side effect of this medication and should I be concerned?

Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to come to a better opionion of your situation

1. From how long is the calf muscle Paining? How best can you describe it? Dull, sharp, shooting? Any relieving factors?
2. Were you on a higher dose before this?
3. Any change in routine activity like exercise after you have been on this drug?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Taking crestor .5mg. Noticed mild soreness in calves. Is this the side effects of medicine? 1 hour later
dull very mild pain. It comes and goes and is not steady throughout the day

I was never on a higher dosage.

No change in routine.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

It is true that the statins (cholesterol lowering drugs) cause some amount of myopathy but these are usually seen in people who are on higher dosages like 80 mg /day (in ase of myocardial infarction) or they are on long term medicines over several years.
In your case it is unlikely that is drug has caused the muscle pain. It could be a regular musculo skeletal pain, I advice you to approach a physician for a pain killer and a muscle relaxant for this. If the pain still persists then maybe statin induced myopathy can be considered

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries I will be happy to reply

I wish you good health