Taking cifroxo and ofloxo for recurrent typhoid. Is there any permanent cure?

hello sir

my wife had typhoid 2 times back to back before 1.5 years ago(between two months) .Now again typhoid occur before 10 days back . all the times we had took medicine as cifroxo.... & ofloxo.....exactly not remenber....pls guide me...
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Sorry I am late in answering, in fact written whole thing but lost just before submitting.
The recurrent acute typhoid is a frequent problem in tropical regions.
The factors responsible can be either a Carrier state or a repeated exposure to infection leading to new infection due to poor immunity.
The carrier state can be due to anatomical/pathological problems like stones in the gall bladder or kidney-ureter-bladder pathway.
Due to stone antibiotics are unable to clear the hidden typhoid bacilli and showers of infection come back giving symptoms.
The ideal approch would be to get an ultrasound of whole abdomen to focus if any stone or anatomical errata in the above sites, get a blood culture and sensitivity, complete blood counts and CRP. Patient should avoid eatouts at uncontrolled/unsanitized places like crowded markets.
The patient should receive aprolonged course of antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin 750mg BD or Ceftriaxone 2g IV BD for 14days for the current episode under the clinician supervision.
After this course she should get Vaccinated either by the Oral or Injectable vaccine for Typhoid which is available under prescription.
I hope these intervention would restore her health enormously.
Follow-up: Taking cifroxo and ofloxo for recurrent typhoid. Is there any permanent cure? 31 minutes later
Thnx a lot sir, for ur reply.
I would like to bring into your kind notice that 7 months back my wife gave birth to a baby boy(C-section), during that course she had several ultrasounds, in that there was nothing visible.

Another thing was that the level of infection was almost same in all three times i.e. 160 bact. antiges under Typhi "O".
Is there any kind of precaution that can be taken to avoid such infections in the future.
awaiting for your reply.............
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back.
May be she is getting recurrent infections rather than being a carrier and that is on good side, just avoid eat out and ensure sanitation. A mandatory handwash with soap prior to taking meals.
Next time when any such problem please do not rely a single reading of Widal test.
This is not a good test for diagnosis of Typhoid and if at all to be utilised there must be serial values 48 hours apart. If they are rising only then it indicates typhoid.
Recently there are good specific test for Typhoid called Typhidot, which are more reliable.
I would suggest you to put a Query in my name if she has the same episode again.
I hope you would be helped by my advise.