Taking benadryl for itchy skin. Should I consult a doctor?

Skin itchy and when rubbed or itched red bumps appear. Benadryl controls it, anything I can use that is better. What is it. Do I need to see doctor
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there,

The itchy skin condition you have mentioned can arise due to a variety of causes.

Kindly let me know if there is any predilection or preference to any site anywhere in the body where you feel itchiness is more.

One strong possibility is hives or urticaria.This condition is characterized by the itchy reddish "wheals" on the skin surface. It is usually results from food or drug allergy. Sea foods, nuts, dairy products and some medications can induce of hives. Emotional stress is also an important predisposing event for the development of hives.Hives recur frequently. Antihistamines like Cetirizine and Loratadine can be used to quickly heal the rashes or wheals.

Now new generation anti allergic drugs like Allegra are available. These can be used in place of Benadryl as these do not cause sedation. In other words you can perform your daily routine without feeling too sleepy.

The other possibility is scabies. It is contagious and is characterized by extreme itchiness on the skin. The itchiness worsens at night. The scabies rashes usually appear in several areas, including the hands, buttocks, back, genitals, and feet. You have not mentioned whether the itchiness and subsequent bumps are seen in any specific location. Permethrin is regarded as the topical treatment of choice for scabies.

I hope my answer will help in alleviating your anxiety.

Please feel free to ask any further doubts.

Follow-up: Taking benadryl for itchy skin. Should I consult a doctor? 2 hours later
Mostly it is my neck, back , , scalp, arms.. The welts only last about 15 minutes and appear after scratching. My hands and feet have itched a little but no redness or welts.

Emotional stress lately as my wife and I have been working very hard on our relationship to include workshops.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 48 minutes later
Hello and thanks for writing back.

It is not uncommon to have hives in the areas you have mentioned.

Although in your case a triggering event can be recognized, ie the emotional stress involved in your relationship it is equally important to remember that majority of cases of hives are idiopathic. In other words no definite cause can identified.

I hope that with the chief stressor eliminated, your problem will subside over a period of time.