Taking azithral, tretinoin for acne. Tried all OTC products. Was on BP. Is this the correct treatment?

I am 31 yrs old female married with 1 year old kid.My doc suggested me azithral 500 mg 3 days a week and tretinoin 0.025 gel to be used on spots daily for severe inflamed acne last weekend. I was using 2.5% BP before going to doc. It helped me to keep acne suppressed to some extent . Now I have several new spots all over my face. Can I stop tretinoin and start using BP 2.5 agin? I will be continuing azithral 3 days a week.Please help as I have family function coming up in 2 weeks.

History: I have tried almost all OTC products and home remedies to treat my acne . Nothing worked so far. When I was in US 4 years back , dermatologist prescribed me Benzaclin and doxycyclin. The medicine worked for 4-5 months and acne returned after that. I tried BP 2.5 2 yrs back and my face was clear without any marks for 4 months and then again it returend. My facial skin looks quite bad though I apply clean and clear moisturiser regularly.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 20 minutes later
Both tretinoin and BP are equally effective.
In fact BP is the safest and best. You can use it even for a year without any side effect.
In fact the normal regimen is to use both in combination.
Apply tretinoin in night, keep it for 2 hours wash your face and apply acne moist moisturiser and sleep.
In morning again wash you face and apply BP and let it be there for 2 hours, wash it and again apply acne moist. Azithral you can take as prescribed by you doctor.
Hope you get a better relief with this regimen.
Thank you
Follow-up: Taking azithral, tretinoin for acne. Tried all OTC products. Was on BP. Is this the correct treatment? 3 hours later
Thankyou Dr XXXXXXX for your prompt response and suggestion. I will start the skin regimen that you have suggested and let you know the progress soon. I have tried tretinoin and BP 2.5 before and I am worried about the purging process. BP caused horrible purging period for 4 weeks when I tried it 2 yrs back. I read that tretinoin also cause purging for 6-8 weeks. Can I use tretinoin only on active pimples rather than entire area ? I have family fuction coming up in 2 weeks and I dont want my face to look more inflammed and red due to purging.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up, and sorry for replying late this time.
Ya you can use it only on active lesions now, but after function gets over, start using on entire face. this will prevent development of new acne.

Surely purging is a problem, I have asked you to wash off after two hours and apply acne moist to relieve that only.

Hope this discussion help you a bit.

Thank you