Taking anti depressant Estilaprem. Having milky discharge from breast. What does it mean?

Question
Hi Dr,

I am 30 year old unmarried girl. i am taking antidepressant from 6months. drug name is estilapram 20mg
I pressed my breast small amount of milk coming out. i am very much worried. Could you please help what does it mean?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.
Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then having a hormonal imbalance is a remote possibility.
The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.
All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist.
You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated.
This is not likely to be due to the medicine that you are taking.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Taking anti depressant Estilaprem. Having milky discharge from breast. What does it mean? 27 minutes later
Thanks for prompt reply.

Doc my periods are very much regular and as u said A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.

I have mentioned i am unmarried. i got very much tensed in the morning when i firstly noticed it. Please clarify more. is any thing to worry?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Even if you are unmarried, a mild discharge can happen due to the hormonal changes. If there is no palpable lump in your breast then there is no need to worry. You can go for a self examination or consult a gynecologist for proper examination.
If the discharge persists for more than a week then detailed investigations to find out the cause are recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.