Taking accutane. Test showed elevated alkaline phosphatase level. Should I stop taking medicine?

Taking 40 mg accutane for 2 months
Alkaline phophatase 384 normal 98-279
17 yr old male
Other readings normal
Should I continue or reduce dose or stop taking accutane
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 22 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your query.

Since your alkaline phosphatase is higher than the range, it might be an indicator that it is on the rise.

My opinion would be to discontinue the Accutane after discussing the test results with the dermatologist treating you.

Since it is already 2 months since you have started the medicine, you must be seeing an improvement and I think it should be possible to shift you towards safer modalities of topical or oral therapy now.

Hope this information is helpful. I will be happy to help you with any further queries.

Wish you good health,