Taking Xyven and Lamitor. Have depression. Is this proper medication?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi! I am taking XYVEN OD 100 and Lamitor OD 100 each one tab daily in night prescribed by my psychiatric to treat depression since one year.

Is this is good choice of drug for my treatment?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
I understand your concern and appreciate the effort you have made to find out what’s best for you.

Lamitor contain lamotrigine and it is mood stabilizer. It is effective in patients having recurrent spells of depression like in your case. It is effective for both prevention and treatment of depression.
Zyven contain desvenlafaxine and it is an antidepressant.
As per your history, there was no problem in treating depression and it responded well to Nexito, Lamitor and Xyven. The main issue in your case is recurrence of depression. In the last 3 years, you developed depression every year (total 3 times). Recurrent depression is an indication for long term treatment (even if you are well). Your treatment is good and you can continue it as your psychiatrist advice.

Apart from that, regularly follow up with your psychiatrist to keep a watch on symptoms like extra energy and never take medicine without his advice.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking Xyven and Lamitor. Have depression. Is this proper medication? 1 hour later
Thanks for your advice.will this better to switch over to Nexito from Zyven as my familly doctor said me that Nexito is better choice.If your opinion is same then pls let me know how shd i convert it.Can i talk with u over mobile?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for getting back.
There is no comparison between Nexito and Zyven. Both are effective but the result may vary patient to patient. In your case, both medicines have shown to be effective. So do not worry and there is no need to change treatment.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Taking Xyven and Lamitor. Have depression. Is this proper medication? 3 hours later
but I get depression last year in July 2011 while I am on Zyven and Lamitor.How can I assure it not recurrent this year too and what should i do to prevent it.It was very bad time for me while I am in depression and don't want to this episode this year again.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you again for writing back.

Treatment response also depend on doses. You had depression episode with 50 mg zyven and currently you are receiving 100 mg per day. You also improved with this dose.

Apart from that depression episodes can not predicted. It is better to continue the medicine and doses with which you improved recently.

So I suggest you continue with the prescribed medication as advised by your treating doctor and indulge yourself in a healthy lifestyle and hope for the best.

Hope I have answered all your queries effectively.

Please do accept my answer if you have no further queries or doubts.

Wishing you a good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking Xyven and Lamitor. Have depression. Is this proper medication? 12 hours later
Thanks Sir!Please let me know that am I a patiant of bio polar disorder.
I want to talk over mobile to satisfy my self.
Please give your contact no. to talk .Regards...

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
Hello again,

There is possibility of bipolar disorder in your case as you have feel extra energy once while on treatment. But to clarify it, your detailed interview and information from family members necessary. Apart from that view of psychiatrist with whom you were under follow up is important.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further concerns.