Taking TB medicines such as R-cinex. Stopped due to itching. What should I do?

Nov 2013

I have been asked to take tuberculosis medicine as my gynecologist suspect it...However all my tests are negative...the clinical symptoms which according to her are indicators of TB are: tiredness, sleepy, weight loss, loss of appetite, not able to conceive despite proper ovulation, poor endometrium quality (though the thickness is fine). I am prescribed the following medicines...
R-cinex (empty stomach)
P-Zide 500 (Pyrazinamide) 1 Morning and 1 night after fod
B-Long (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 1 afternoon
Mycobutol 600 1 afternoon
I started taking and took them for 3 days but than had to stop due to sever itching. i took three days gap and restarted with Mycobutol 600 and getting the itching back...what should i do? Should I go for some more test and reevaluate whether to take tuberculosis medicine ?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see a dermatologist/physician

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Your doctor is correct in prescribing tuberculosis medicines, as in a person with endometrial thickening/irregularity and infertility, TB can be presumed to be the cause, though a definite proof of TB is lacking. So, empirical anti-TB treatment is commonly started in situations such as yours.

The itching and rash is suggestive of hypersensitivity or allergy to anti-TB medications, which is quite common. The main issue here is to find out which of the four anti-TB drugs (isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol, pyrazinamide) you are allergic to, as you are on these four drugs. This can be found out by a drug challenge test, which can be done under the supervision of a dermatologist or general physician (with MD medicine degree),

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: