Taking Loestrin. Had intercourse. Brown discharge. Negative pregnancy tests. Concerned that I am pregnant

I am on Loestrin 28 Birth Control. I've been on it for 5 years. I started a new pack on January 29. I haven't missed any pills, but I think I had one day where I took a pill later than usual. On January 29, February 16, and February 21, I had intercourse. There was no ejaculaton, but there might have been pre. I was supposed to start my period this week. I'm just having brown when I wipe, but no discharge. I have had this before, but of course this time I'm concerned I'm pregnant. I took two pregnancy tests yesterday and they were negative. Please help.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Birth control pill taken slightly later than usual time does not affect the efficacy of the pill. Since you took the pill on the same day and there were no missed pills, you are protected against pregnancy in this cycle.

Two negative pregnancy tests further rules out the possibility of pregnancy.

Mild brownish spotting instead of bleeding is a normal finding after taking oral contraceptives. There is nothing worrisome about it. It might change into a full flow in next 2-3 days. You can start with your next pack of pills as scheduled.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. And if I have answered all your queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking Loestrin. Had intercourse. Brown discharge. Negative pregnancy tests. Concerned that I am pregnant 29 minutes later
Thank you for your help.

What if you were to miss a day and take two pills one day? I don't think this happened in this cycle but it has happened in previous. All pills were taken though.

It didn't make sense I could be pregnant because it would mean I conceived after sex on January 29 and on that day both birth control and a condom were used. And I usually ovulate during the second week of my cycle. Does that sound right? Thanks again. Just worried!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Even if you miss one pill and take two the next day, still you are protected against pregnancy.

Your assumption is right. You aren’t pregnant. The following reasons support this:
1. As you used a double protection, the chances of being pregnant are negligible.
2. Women who take birth control pills regularly, more than 90 times out of 100 do not ovulate. This is the mechanism by which one is protected against pregnancy.
3. If you were to ovulate due to contraceptive failure (which is a very rare occurrence) sexual intercourse in the midcycle that is on the second week is most fruitful. So you can conceive only after XXXXXXX 29th.

All these factors make pregnancy unlikely. So do not worry.

Hope my answer is helpful. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns. If you do not have any further queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.