Taking Keppra and Implanon for epilepsy. On weight loss programme. Any safe diet pill?

I have epilepsy and am on Keppra and Implanon. I am getting married in July and have been trying to loose 9kg. I'm trying to lost at least 7kg by mid February to order the dress
I joined the gym 6 weeks ago. I have been doing a weight/cardio program for an 1hr and a half 3 times a week plus walking (jogging if I'm not too stuffed) with the dogs 2-3 times a week as well (usuaully 40 min or more).
Breakfast is a XXXXXXX white shake, lunch salad (rocket,spinach,carrot,walnuts,tble cheese,tble dressing,sweet potato,chicken,cherry tomatos), tea is usually chicken and steamed veg. Some gym nights, I just have meal replacement shake as I get home late. We have cut out bread, pasta, most cheese,chocoloate,ice-cream...all the fun stuff.
Yet I'm not seeing any difference on the scales or in my belt holes.
Is there a diet pill that would be safe for me to take? (australia)
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

Important points of your query:
•     28 year old female
•     Concern related to weight
•     Target to reduce 7 kg weight in 4 months

To know about ideal weight of person we use an index called BODY MASS INDEX (BMI).
BMI is calculated with the simple formula: BMI= weight in kg/height in metre²

According to BMI we can categorise people in three categories:
•     Underweight from 16.0 to 18.5
•     Normal from 18.5 to 25
•     Overweight from 25 to 30
•     Obese from 30 onward

So weight monitoring is better to check progress.

Following steps will be very helpful to reduce weight in your case:

•     Buy one weighing machine preferably digital and measure weight every week, on a fixed day and on empty stomach in morning. Write weight in front of date in calendar or diary.

•     Most important thing to lose weight is to remain motivated towards your goal. So fix your goal in form of target weight like start with target of 7kg in 4 month. Target around 2 kg weight reduction in every month as it will not disturb physiological functioning of body. So it will take around 3.5 month to achieve your goal.

•     Inform your family members about your plan to reduce weight as it will help to continue your motivation towards your goal.

•     Make your dietary chart as what have you eaten in last day and calculate calorie value of that food. You can get calorie value of food items easily from net.

•     You have nicely modified your diet but still it is better to avoid sweet potato. Restrict your total calorie intake around 1500 k cal per day. Eliminate food items containing sugar and fat from your diet. Increase consumption of salad and fruits in your diet as it will mobilise your fat. Using these principle and according to your dietary habits prepare your own diet chart and stick to that plan.

•     Do not try to reduce weight very fast as it is harmful to health.

•     In exercise plan: Incorporate aerobics and brisk walk in your exercise plan at least for 30 min a day. It is better to follow exercise program rather than alternate day for more benefit.

•     Drugs are helpful but not favoured in your case as they can interact with anti epileptic medications.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Taking Keppra and Implanon for epilepsy. On weight loss programme. Any safe diet pill? 51 minutes later
So basically, I've told you that I'm doing 40min to 1hr and a half exercise (weights and cardio) 6 times a week + restricting almost all carbs and sugar out my diet and no weight loss in 6 weeks...(and I've been doing walking the dogs 3 months a week and changed diet for months before that)
and you're advice is basically keep doing what you're doing and there's really nothing I can suggest (that I'm not already doing) that would help you?
So I'm to keep on eating crap healthy food and resign myself to working my arse off but in terms of actually working any of that arse off...I can forget about it??
Wow - whats the bloody point???
I'd have been perfectly happy to lose 1/2kg a week - hell I would have been happy to lose 1/2 a fortnight but I am and bloody nothing!
Thanks for your extremely useful advice.
Should have spent it on a pack of bloody donuts.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 minutes later
Hello again,

There is nothing to offend you.

I know it is frustrating to loose weight as it require lots of efforts and sometime results may take months.

As you mention that your exercise program is good and you are not loosing something is lacking. So why not focus on that?

Remember one thing if energy output (>2000 k cal per day) is more than input (1500 k cal per day) then you will definitely loose weight. Overall 500 k cal deficit in one day will burn 100gm fat per day and in 1 month 3 kg.

You monitor your diet and restrict total calorie intake to 1500 k cal per day. Believe me it will do wonder.