Taking Femilon, had unprotected sex. Will I get pregnant if I stop taking it for a week?

Hi. I have been on femilon 21 day pills for almost a month now and have only 3 tablets left to take in the first pack. I started on the first day of my period and have not missed any pill. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend this week, which is the last week before I go off the pill for 7 days. I wanted to ask if there is a chance of me being pregnant if I go off for 7 days, or should I start on the next pack of pills straight away without waiting for the 7 day gap to ensure I don't get pregnant? Thanks
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Femilon is an estrogen, progestin combination oral contraceptive that works by preventing ovulation (the release of a mature egg) and may also alter the mucus in the cervix to stop the sperm from passing.
Oral contraception works best if taken at the same time every day, if taken daily at the same time they will reduce your risk of pregnancy by 99%.

Even though you are only taking the pill for 21 days and have the 7 day break, you are protected for all 28 days. Start the next pack on the same day of the week that you started the first pack, during the 7 day break period you will likely have your period.

Once you were taking your pills daily then you should not get pregnant and you can take the pills as directed (with the seven day break).

If you forget a pill then take it as soon as you remember and take the next one at the normal time.
If you are more than 12 hours late and it is in the first or second week then take extra precautions for the next 7 days.
If you are 12hrs late in taking a pill in the last week then take the next pack right away and skip the pill free week.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions