Taking Epilim for autonomous epilepsy. History of kidney stones. Negative impact of Epilim on kidneys?

I have started taking Epilim for what has been diagnosed as autonomous epilepsy. I have a history of kidney stones and would like to know whether the side effects of Eplilim will have a negative impact on the condition of my kidneys. Thank you, XXXXXXX G.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I am so glad that you are in good health and leading a very active life. Please continue the same.

Epilim as such, has no negative impact on the kidneys. Kidney stones per se do not decrease the renal function. So, in my opinion you can take the drug safely.

However a point of concern in your alcohol use. Epilim is contraindicated in persons with liver or hepatic dysfunction. Although your liver seems to be quite healthy now, the alcohol use along with Epilim is not a good combination.

You could cut down on the alcohol so that epilim can act safely in you.

Overall, the answer to your query is that Epilim can be taken safely in spite of the history of kidney stones.

Take care, XXXXXXX Write back if you have more concerns.