Taking Crestor for few months. Experiencing stiffness in legs, tightness in chest. Why is it happening ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been taking Crestor for a few months(5-10 mgs) and am a runner...Have been experiencing stiffness in my leg muscles and wierd eminating tightness in my upper body, chest, and down my arms when running....Seems that when I run longer the upper body tightness goes away but my legs are much tighter than normal and I have been running a lot slower than normal...I am 64 years old and have been to Boston Marathon 6 times since I was 46...I use my running as a health baromter and know when something isn't right...
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Taking Crestor for few months. Experiencing stiffness in legs, tightness in chest. Why is it happening ? 37 minutes later
Just to add: I feel a bit anemic and when I run it feels like my bloodflow is not getting to my extremities efficiently...

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

I have read your problem and have gone through the reports attached with this query.
The symptoms you are having seem to be due to the side effects caused by Crestor. It is often associated with muscle pain and weakness.

You need to report this problem to your treating physician as he might like to have your renal function tests and might even substitute it for any other lipid lowering agent.

Your symptoms are less likely to be due to anaemia.Your reports and hematocrit are in a healthy range.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking Crestor for few months. Experiencing stiffness in legs, tightness in chest. Why is it happening ? 1 hour later
Should I expect to have a good recovery back to my normal running and feeling normal after stopping the Crestor...How long should it take to get out of my system??..

THX, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for replying back.

Complete recovery is expected after substituting the drug. You should feel better within two weeks of stopping the drug.

You need not worry. You will be fine soon.

Hope my answer is helpful. Wish you good health.

Regards.