Should I wash my hair before applying Minoxidil for male pattern baldness?

Hi Doctor, My Dermatologist suggested me to use Minoxidil 5% to stop the male pattern baldness.I just need your help about the solution usage. - Should I wash my hair before applying this solution every time, how frequently I need to wash my hair every week ? - I have baldness in Front and in vertex area,but I heard that Minoxidil is not effective in frontal baldness, can you please suggest me whether I can apply it on front area or not? - Which brand of Minoxidil is preferred to use, the brand which my doctor suggested (i.e H&H brand) is shortage in market ? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Minoxidil is good solution for MPB. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Minoxidil is effective to stimulate hair growth. It should be used twice a day for few months to few years. Initially 5% minoxidil may be applied, after few months ,you may increase the strenght to 10%. It is effective on whole scalp. you may apply on frontal area of scalp.Wash the scalp daily with ketoconazole shampoo daily during bath. There are so many brands available in the market. Mintop of Dr XXXXXXX is one of them. I hope you got my answer. Still, any query, you may ask. Thanks with best wishes. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Should I wash my hair before applying Minoxidil for male pattern baldness? 12 hours later
Thanks Doctor, for responding to my query so quickly.I have few more queries based on your response. My Dermatologist suggested me to take Finax 1mg tablet and apply Minoxidil 5% daily for the duration of 6 months.But, after hearing the adverse side effects of Finax I stopped using it from the Day 2 itself, I'm only continuing with Minoxidil solution from the past 3 months.Do you think that I'm on right treatment now ? If yes, is this the right time to switch over to Minoxidil 10%? And from the past one month my face is becoming black and glow-less and also facing dark eye circles problem, its some thing like aging (by the way my age is 28). I'm suspecting that this is because of using Minoxidil.Can you please clarify me whether applying this solution will cause any side effects like I mentioned ? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Finestride is safe, having least side effects. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You may take finesteride 1 mg daily for long time about few years without fear. I used it very freely in my patients. Until now nobody complaints of any side effect. You may switch over to 10% minoxidil solution. It has no side effect except irritation. In your case, it would not be there,as you use it without irritation. And Irritation occurs in few days after use. You may take biotin containing tablet daily like Tab BIOTIN FORTE 10mg once a day. I think this would be sufficient for you. Thanks. You may contact me on this site after two months for the follow up talk. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD