Taking 50mg of Pristiq. Is Pristiq more effective than Zoloft? Does it have side effects?

Hi I had a question regarding Pristiq. Generally is it considered to be more effective than SSRI's for example Zoloft for anxiety and depression? I think it has helped me with focus issues and memory. Wanted to know if this is common or if I am experiencing a placebo effect? I switched from Zoloft 150 MG of Zoloft which worked but with some nasty side effects I am on 50 MG of Pristiq and have been for about 3 weeks and it seems to work a little better with much less side effects. Just wanted to see if this was common.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on person to person

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Pristiq is Desvenlafaxine is an antidepressant of the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor .

Sertraline (trade names Zoloft, Lustral) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class.

Pristiq is structurally different from zoloft as it affects the norepinephrine reuptake as well as compared to sertraline, the effects can be different .

Also there is lot to individual variations as one drugs seems to work better for an individual as compared to the other.

If Pristiq is working better for you, stick to it.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Follow-up: Taking 50mg of Pristiq. Is Pristiq more effective than Zoloft? Does it have side effects? 17 minutes later
Great Thanks for the insight. Is Pristiq a more "potent" drug since it affects both transmitters? I have also read a lot stating that Pristiq's effectiveness has come into question. Just wanted to make sure that is just general speculation that comes about with any drug.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes Pristiq affect both the transmitter, though not for known reasons zoloft works better in some patients.

It is more of a person to person variations and what works for one does not necessarily works for somebody else.

Follow-up: Taking 50mg of Pristiq. Is Pristiq more effective than Zoloft? Does it have side effects? 59 minutes later
Thanks for the answers. I guess there is no way to generalize patient effectiveness of each drug. I have just read a lot of articles calling Pristiq a Patent extender and stating that it was barely more effective than placebo. After reading these articles, it makes me question if I just think its working or if it is truly doing something.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It definitely works

Detailed Answer:
It works without doubt,SSRI OR SNRI both groups increases the transmitter levels,the only question is which agent works better than the other.If it is working for you continue taking it.