Taken Imodium for diarrhea but no relief. What else can I do?

Started with diarrhea at 10pm took 4 immodiam by 1:30 am. Stil running to the pot at 3:30 AM. What else can I do...74years old.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As you have already taken 4 immodium, I would suggest you not to take immodium again in 24 hrs. However, with 4 capsules of drug, at least frequency would have gone down.

You can take now probiotic available in XXXXXXX or in capsule form. Lactobacilus [sporlac] XXXXXXX works well for diarrhea.

Keep watch on dehydration, drink lots of fluid or if ORS or Electral water is available, you can drink it.

Avoid spicy food/chocolates/dairy products/leafy vegetables/fruits.

If you get bloody diarrhea, if you get fever, if signs of dehydration like dry mouth/less urine out develop; consult physician immediately.

Bacterial origin of diarrhea needs antibiotics like norfloxacin/oflaxacin, which are available on prescription.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,

Dr. Neelam.