Taken HGH for anti aging reasons. Developed spinal stenosis. Non surgical method to cure?

Spine Surgeon
I am a 47 y.o. dentist. I have taken hgh for several years for antiaging reasons. I have developed spinal stenosis. My question is whether the hgh has contributed to this? I had an extended time where I was taking bad hgh unknowingly so I cannot use personal experience as my guide. I had drank a fair amount of coffee acidifying my blood along with a less than perfect diet along with a job that encourages poor posture. Also is there a non-surgical way out of this?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 19 minutes later

One of the contributing factors for the spinal stenosis is bony outgrowth and thickening of the lamina. Hgh, very well can cause this problem especially in a young person who already has optimum bone density.

However in spine, we need to see clinical symptoms and if those are matching with MRI findings.

What are your complaints- back pain? leg pain? difficulty in walking? Any tingling or numbness in legs? And how bad is the problem? Affecting your daily activities?

There are non surgical options but it depends upon patient suffering and how bad is the stenosis. Non-surgical solutions are like pain medicine with physiotherapy, epidural blocks or spine simulators.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Taken HGH for anti aging reasons. Developed spinal stenosis. Non surgical method to cure? 26 minutes later
yes, back pain, sciatic pain while standing right side, started getting tingling in left small toes. MRI showed spinal stenosis. Pain is managable at this point. Unable to run. Do not take pain pills, but fish oil helps with the inflammation. I am hoping diet can reverse this. Please comment on the nutritional info I provided if you are versed in this. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Nutritional supplements are helpful for generalized well-being. Spinal stenosis is a mechanical problem and it is due to bony outgrowth. I need to see your MRI images. If the stenosis is due to bony stenosis, then it won't be cured with above mentioned supplements. Over a period the problem will worsen. If there are limitation to your activities, then you need to consider other options rather than depending upon the nutritional supplements.