TB patient. TB report showing ESR, Tb IgG positive, Tb IgM borderline. How soon can she conceive a child?

hello sir this is with respect to my wife's report
ESR 92
Tb igG by eia +ve no is 377
tb igm by eia border line 0.88
is this serious stage of tb if i consult gynecologist how much time it will take to recover after this treatment an we conceive baby
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I see that tuberculosis is certainly in an active stage considering the levels of ESR which is on the high. The immunoglobulins which are produced by the body to fight infection. IgG and IgM indicate the body's immune response, which means the body is still fighting tuberculosis.

You have not written about her TB medications. Has she started on TB medications yet?

Antitubercular medications is given as a course lasting for 6 months to an year. Only after the course ends would she be further tested again to see her TB status.

To answer further about this in relation to conception of a child in your wife - "that would primarily require that the infection is completely reduced to a level of normal health".

1. If your wife is not yet treated or is on treatment, it is not advisable that she conceives right now. It would be better if a baby is planned after full treatment.

2. If she has been treated already and these levels are after her course - then an examination by the gynecologist would be required in person to check on her status of reproductive organs along with couple counselling.

The ESR is a prognostic test, and may not be the entire story of her TB. A clinical examination with other tests like Chest XRay, sputum samples also have to be correlated to reach a final decision for the conception. Your doctor has to help in here.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.