Swollen tongue, food allergies, sinus infection, taken antibiotics, antidepressants, had acid reflux

I am a 52 year old female who was on anti depressants for anxiety for almost 10 years. About 2 years ago due to insurance problems I weaned myself off the medication and immediately came down with a case of acid reflux and a swollen tongue. The acid reflux resolved itself but the swollen tongue has not even though it doesn't seem to bother me all the time. I have read that this could be a symptom of menopause and also thyroid disease yet I seem to have no other thyroid problems. Additionally I have food allergies among them, wheat, oats, barley and rye, and have been fighting a sinus infection since January with 4 rounds of antibiotics and still don't feel well. Where do I go from here?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

You seem to be having multiple problems which are unrelated. Food allergies / repeated sinus infections / swollen lips are all mainly allergic condition. You need to avoid all the causative factors.

Food allergies, swollen tongue are unlikely to be related to menopause or thyroid dysfunctions.

There are some general measures that might help you in reducing the problem.
1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2. Start Antiallergics in combination with Antiinflammatory agent like Montelukast before the onset of first signs and symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your physician.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
4. Whenever symptoms appear, take steam inhalation twice daily
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6. Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
7. Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
8.Use a humidifier in your room.

Allergic disorders need extreme vigilance and timely treatment on the appearance of first symptoms. Watch out for allergens and avoid them as much as possible.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.