Swollen lymph on the left side of neck with fever, chills, ear pain. Reasons ?

ENT Specialist
swollen lymphI have had a bump on the left side of my neck 2 days ago. it had gotten swollen where it had hurt to touch. today I have a fever of 101 along with chills body aches fatigue and ear pain.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause will be an inflamed lymph node (there are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region).

2. You have an infection with fever, local inflammation and lymph node tenderness in the neck.

3. The simplest course of action, since this is a short history, will be a course of antibiotics, anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory agents and medicated gargles.

4. Since you have chills, body ache and fatigue, you should get a blood test to rule out malaria, viral fevers such as dengue, blood cell counts, platelet counts (low in dengue) and urine examination. Keep yourself well hydrated and get rest. Usually it will be a common viral fever or an acute bacterial infection. The type of white blood cells predominating in your complete blood count will indicate whether the infection is bacterial or viral.the Dengue antibodies and Typhoid Widal Test) will not test positive till the second week.

5. If on examination the ear is normal, then it is usually referred pain due to throat inflammation.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.