Swollen lymph nodes in neck, low body temperature. Do I have an infection?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck and a 1 degree lower than normal body temperature. Do I have an infection?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Swollen lymph nodes can be because of inflammation alone also

If there is no rise in temperature, it is likely that it could be of inflammatory origin

Yet if you are concerned you may go for a complete blood count with esr to rule out acute or chronic infection as symptoms alone can not be used to stamp a diagnosis

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Swollen lymph nodes in neck, low body temperature. Do I have an infection? 1 hour later
What should I do to treat myself? Other than the problem in my throat and a slight headache, I feel fine.
Thanks for your time.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup

The information is suggestive of inflammed glands secondary to upper respiratory infection

Hopefully they should subside with management of the throat infection for which you should take a good upper respiratory antibiotic for five to seven days

An antiinflammatory would provide added response and even help in managinf headache

If after treatment of five to seven days there is no response you should see an ENT surgeon in your area

Hope have replied to your queries to your satisfaction
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a good health